Saturday, June 11, 2011

Amber Portwood of 'Teen Mom' pleads guilty to battery against ex-fiance

Amber Portwood, who starred on the MTV reality series "Teen Mom," has been sentenced to probation after pleading guilty to two felony domestic battery charges.

The 20-year-old was accused of hitting ex-fiancé Gary Shirley in front of their baby daughter. She spent one day in jail in December for the incident and could have received up to three years in jail if convicted.
As part of her sentence, the judge ordered Portwood to get her high school diploma, attend 30 days of
inpatient therapy and put $10,000 in a college fund for her daughter, Leah Shirley, who is now 2. The judge also dropped the felony child neglect charge against the "Teen Mom," according to the Associated Press.
Portwood was seen punching and screaming at Shirley several times in a September episode of "Teen Mom" but has previously denied striking him in front of their daughter.
ABC News Indianapolis affiliate WRTV said she was charged following an investigation that was spurred by footage captured during the taping of "Teen Mom." It quoted a detective as saying she attacked Shirley in front their child several times over the summer.
"On Aug. 14, 2009 ... Portwood shoved Shirley against a wall, slapped him on the face and choked him," Detective Mitch Carroll of the Anderson police department told the station, describing one occurrence. "The incident was witnessed by the couple's 1-year-old child, who sat in a child seat on a nearby bed."
"I have no clue why I hurt Gary," Portwood said in an interview with MTV in September. "I never notice how bad I am until I see it. I feel so terrible and its like, 'Did I really do that?' 'What the hell was I doing?' I don't treat him like the way I feel. I just go a lot farther than most people would. I have a lot of problems, plus I don't care about myself, so it's like, it's whatever happens, happens. I hate it."

No comments:

Post a Comment